The Royal Academy of Dance offers a wide range of courses, classes and workshops for young people
The Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) offers an internationally recognised portfolio of examinations and assessments which is designed to motivate and encourage students of all ages and levels of ability, through a systematic measurement of progress and attainment. Examinations are organised and administered by the RAD Examinations Board.
Students may start with the Pre-School Dance Curriculum, move up through Pre-Primary and Primary levels and then into eight Graded levels or six Vocational Graded levels. Students may move from the Graded pathway to the Vocational Graded pathway at an appropriate time; or they may study both pathways simultaneously.
We offer examination programmes to suit all, whether students are new to ballet or already have dance experience. There are no upper age limits and both male and female students can enter.
Our examinations provide students with:
• achievable goals to work towards
• recognition from the world’s largest ballet examination board
• qualifications that are fully accredited by the UK regulatory authorities
• the impetus to achieve their personal best in a fun and nurturing environment
• The Pre-School Dance Curriculum develops basic movement skills, musical awareness, expression and creativity. Themed classes encourage class participation, focus and confidence that prepare students for entry to Pre-Primary levels. This curriculum is appropriate for students between the ages of two and a half and five years.
• The Graded Examinations in Dance syllabus provides a broad practical dance education and develops technical, musical and performance skills. It incorporates ballet, free movement and character and with the new Pre-Primary in Dance and Primary in Dance it is appropriate for students from the age of five years.
• The Vocational Graded Examinations in Dance syllabus provides an in-depth study of ballet, develops technique, music and performance skills and introduces pointe work for female candidates. It prepares students for a career in dance and is appropriate for students from the age of eleven years.
• The Solo Seal Award is the highest Vocational Graded examination and focuses on solo performance.
• Presentation Classes based on the Graded Examination syllabus, which are not assessed and Class Awards, available at Pre-Primary in Dance and Primary in Dance and which are assessed.
In this section of the website you will find information and documentation on RAD examinations: from how to apply, enter and prepare for examinations, to policies and regulations, through to receiving results and gaining qualifications.
You can also find news, updates and other important information in our publications.
Please take the time to consult our comprehensive FAQs, where your query may be quickly answered.
RAD Conference: Dance and Lifelong Wellbeing, 26-28 April 2013
Booking for the Introduction to the new Advanced Foundation, Advanced 1 and Advanced 2 syllabi Teachers’ courses is now open.